Tuesday 5 July 2011

Games on the way, plans for a couple of future posts.

Hello there who ever you may be. This blog has fallen by the wayside for some time due to lack of time, inspiration, effort...heck you pick a reason and I'll bet I could attribute it to me not working on this. Whilst I'm not about to ramp up what I'm doing to weekly or even bi-weekly blogs I am intending to see if I can find a niche to write about and possibly podcast and vlog as well.

What might that topic be you ask? Cheap, unsung games. I'm jaded as all hell with the A grade games that are being churned out and really long for something a little more unique in some way shape or form, be it gameplay, plot or otherwise. As a result I'm scouring review sites and forums for unsung gems, games that were passed up by the mainstream for one reason or another, indie games and mods for classic games. Basically I want to focus on stuff poor gamers such as myself might be able to buy for pocket change and get some serious value and entertainment out of.

Winging their way to me as of tonight are Alpha Protocol and Deadly Premonition, two games praised for their boundry pushing in some respects but marred by technical issues to the point that they reviewed quite badly with many of the biggest gaming media outlets. Now, with months passed since release, any and all patches ready to go and the price dropped to an incredibly reasonable £10 a piece I want to try them out to see if they're worth even that and report back on what I make of them from my entirely critical standpoint.

As Alpha Protocol is an Obsidian game, a favorite company of mine and my brother, I'm hoping to get him over at some point to take some footage and record our thoughts for a video review of sorts. Whether I have the technology to do this at a reasonable level of quality is questionable, taking footage from an Xbox 360 not being the easiest thing in the world without specific equipment, but at least I intend to get a podcast on the subject recorded.

So, a more focused direction for this blog from now on is on the horizon and with any luck it'll make it easier to get inspired to write. And hopefully the games will be the flawed classics they appear to be. Let you know soon.

Eden

3 comments:

  1. I like the sound of this direction. Maybe going as obscure as older generation games (ps1, snes etc) that are making their *cough* unnoticable *cough* come backs to new media devices such as smart phones and tabs/pads. A story I picked up on recently was the rereleased HD version of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time that could be brought on the PS and Xbox networs as a downloadable game. I was sad to hear that the company who had rights to this had recently lost it and therefore the game has been removed much to my dissmay as I never got round to purchasing it.

    Man I loved that game on megadrive :(...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try taking a look at Project Zomboid, a free demo is running around, lots of depth to the game once they improve it with save functions it will be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HD remixes and Zomboid are definitely on my radar already and I'll certainly be having a closer look at both once some time comes up.

    ReplyDelete